Monday, August 8, 2011

Dance, Darlin' Dance!

My great-grandmother, Nanoo (aka Louise, Gracie's namesake) had a solution to change.  Her advice to my mother growing up was always to "Dance, darlin' dance!"  My mom explained to me that by this, she meant no matter what opportunity or challenge came your way, it was your job take it.  No matter the outcome.

Yesterday in church we sang one of my favorite hymns, "Lord of the Dance".  Listening to the refrain,

Dance, dance, wherever you may be
I am the lord of the dance, said he
And I lead you all, wherever you may be
And I lead you all in the dance, said he 

  
I was reminded of my Nanoo's saying.

I am not a dancer by nature (we have the high school dance team videos to prove it), and up to this point I have almost always taken the easy road out, either because I was afraid things would change, or that they wouldn't.

I would like to think these days I am dancing just a little bit more.  Not  in a "what have I got to lose" kind of way, because I know now how much can be lost.  But more in a "who knows what I will gain" way.  I have to believe that there is somebody leading this dance I am in, and the best thing I can do is jump in feet first and keep them moving until it is time to stop.  I can almost hear my great-grandmother clapping along.

Hopefully one day when Gracie is facing her own challenges, I can tell her all about her great-great grandmother...and how to Dance Darlin' Dance!



No comments:

Post a Comment