Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What are you so afraid of?

I've realized there are a lot of bogus quotes and cliches when it comes to fear...

"You have nothing to fear but fear itself"...umm, actually I can list on two hands things that I  fear, and none of them are fear itself

"Fear not"...easy for you to say

"Fear doesn't exist anywhere except in the mind"...then why does my stomach hurt?

"What are you so afraid of?"...how long do we have?

"The thing we fear we bring to pass"...don't try to pin this on me

The thing I've realized is that fear is inevitable, at least in my situation.  There is a quote from C.S. Lewis that I liked: "No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear".
I am scared to go to the doctor tomorrow.  I feel about that fear similar to the way I feel about crying.  I don't like doing it, but it is necessary and getting through it almost always makes me feel better.
So, for lack of other options, I am going to "face my fears" and all that jazz.  But I don't have to like it.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck tomorrow, I'm sure everything will be okay.

    ReplyDelete