Monday, November 10, 2014

The Thing About Birthdays

My first baby turns 4 tomorrow.

When you are home with a newborn, you can lose track of time. My mind still thinks it should be August, these past three months have been such a blur. I am not exaggerating or sugar-coating when I say they have been some of the happiest of my life.

Rip's birthday snuck up on me this year. I've been thinking about him so much since Sam was born, wondering more about what he would have been like than I did with Gracie. There is just something about a mama's love for her little boy.

But I haven't had that anxiety I usually have leading up to his birthday. That, in itself, is a little sad because I know all too well that if I had an almost four-year-old boy sitting here today I would be reminded constantly of the date. I know this because his almost three-year-old sister has been talking about her princess birthday party since before Halloween. Her birthday is three days before Christmas. So I wonder what party we would be planning for tomorrow.

We had pictures taken of our family right after Sam was born. Our photographer (my very talented cousin-in-law) contacted me as soon as she began working on them and said that the picture below almost brought her to tears when she saw it, that there was something there that was not seen to the naked eye when she took the picture.

Do I believe that light shining down on our family is the closest thing to a complete family picture we will ever get? I do. If I was unsure before, I believed after I ordered prints of this photo and the front of the package said they could be picked up at 11:11. Sometimes you just know.

The thing about birthdays is that no matter how short the life, each and every one changes the world in some way. On November 11th, 2010 at approximately 7:53 am, the world was changed forever. A little boy named John Robert Harris, Rip, was born to Parke and Anne Harris. He made them parents and a family. His birth made it possible for them to have two additional children- Grace Louise, the heart, and Samuel Haskell, the soul. So every year on that day his mother closes her eyes and gives thanks, because she is leading a blessed life. A life which in no small part she has been given because of the birthday of her oldest son. 

Thank you, Rip Harris, for changing my world. I love you more than you will ever know.


7 comments:

  1. That picture is unbelievable. My jealousy for you having a family member who is a photog is through the roof.

    Wishing you a kind birthday tomorrow for your firstborn baby and son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY RIP!!!!! Thinking about you and Parke extra hard today. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears of joy and remembrance are flowing for you and your beautiful family this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Rip!! This picture is AMAZING!! Brought tears to my eyes that such a beautiful moment was captured for a special Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love…no words…just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tears as I look at this. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're amazing. You really are.

    ReplyDelete