Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Look

There is a Look...and anybody who has ever lost somebody close to them knows what I am talking about...the Look is supposed to convey sympathy but in reality just makes you feel like slapping someone.  I've heard it called the "hair too heavy on one side" look and the "wounded puppy" look...whatever you want to call it, I can see it coming from a mile away.

It starts when the somebody (usually a somebody you don't know well) spots you from across the room, parking lot, football field.  No matter the distance, no matter how hard you try to avoid eye contact, the Look will find you.  The determination of the Look is not to be underestimated.

There is a certain slackening of features, sometimes accompanied with a welling of the eyes...the head cocks to one side, maybe even slowly shaking back in forth...careful, the Looker will want to touch you, move carefully, because the Looker will grab on... and the Looker will not be happy Until.You.Cry.

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate 99% of the people who stop and say such kind words about our loss, friends and strangers who somehow know just what to say...but so help me God, I will spend the rest of my life trying to dodge THE LOOK.

No comments:

Post a Comment