Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Separate Peace

Every year, my parents have a "themed" Christmas...this year, appropriately, the theme was "Peace on Earth".
Here we are being peaceful...even the snowman is flashing the peace sign.

Yesterday was my first day back at work full-time.  Things were going fine until about 4:30 when some poor guy I had not seen for months asked how the baby was doing.  I almost felt worse for him than I did for me when I told him what happened, he looked like he wished the floor would open up and swallow him whole.  I, on the other hand, got angry...really, really angry at everything and everyone.  All of it just seemed so unfair.

For lack of socially acceptable options, I hit the gym.  I pounded out almost an hour on the treadmill, ran like a maniac or someone in a bad 80's movie montage, blasted every angry workout song I had in my repertoire.  After I was done, I felt a little better...or at least less likely to punch out the person on the treadmill next to me.  That might not be what most people would call a sense of peace, but that was as close as I was getting.

My theme for the year is still peace on earth.  The peace I felt a month ago is different that the peace I found yesterday, and I can only pray it will be different than the peace I find tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment