Thursday, May 12, 2011

Step One

One of the things that has been hanging over my head for the past six months is all of my unwritten thank-you notes.
I bought stationary months ago.
I bought stamps months ago.
I started looking up addresses months ago.
And yet...I just couldn't write them
I think there may be two reasons for my procrastination.
First, and probably most of all, before now, writing all of the notes and having to confirm to myself all of those times that Rip was really gone was just too hard.  I think maybe I needed to reach a certain place in this healing process to be strong enough to face this task.
But also, I think maybe it is hardest to write a thank-you when you mean it so much.  I am truly so thankful to all of those people who have been there for us that I almost don't know what to say.
So many of these people have also said not to write a note, that they were not expecting that...and I know that they mean it...but I think this is something I need to do, another step in the right direction.
My hope is that writing about it here will be the final nudge I need to take that step.

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand. I hate writing thank you notes in general but after my son died...I felt guilty everyday that I didn't do it and it was really hard to start the notes. What do you say to someone about their kindness and your pain? Probably the most sincere cards we've ever written because they were from the heart. You can do it. One at at time! And YES, you are right...it is a part of the healing process. It adds some "acceptance" to your brain.

    ReplyDelete