Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Patience: A Virtue I No Longer Possess

There is an old favorite family story that I have been told many times over the years.  Evidently, when I was approximately two-years-old, my parents went out and left me with a babysitter.  For some reason the babysitter sat me in a rocking chair and told me to stay while she went and did something for my baby brother...and promptly forgot about me (we can only hope this was the last time this particular sitter was used).  Anyway, about an hour and a half later, she realized her mistake...she found me still in that rocking chair, just happily sitting right where she left me.

I don't know what happened between now and then, but patience is a virtue that I no longer possess.
Over the past six months I find myself increasingly impatient with people, places, and things.  Nothing seems to happen fast enough for me,  I want things to be constantly moving forward and pity the person that should stand in my way.

There are probably all sorts of psychological reasons for this, but I'm sure I don't know what they are...I also know all of the sayings about slowing down, taking it day by day, but if you've found a way to do that successfully please fill me in.

I don't have an answer or solution for my impatience, its just how I feel right now...and really, there are worse things.

1 comment:

  1. Patience: n. a mild form of despair, disguised as a virtue. -Ambrose Bierce

    ReplyDelete