Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Time Marches On

I have always been a little dismissive of people who like to wallow in the bad, who love to bring up the terrible things that have happened 5..10..15..20 years ago no matter what else has happened in between.

I still don't believe that is the best way to live my life, but I guess I have a little more sympathy for those who live in the past, because time flies whether you are having fun or not.

Recently, I was talking to a friend who just lost a grandparent.  One thing she said she was most surprised by was how quickly life moved on as normal.  I know exactly what she means.  My birthday this year was a week after Rip died, and to avoid seeing anyone we knew my mom, sister and I went to a Burger King to grab lunch.  It felt so unreal, how could I possibly go through the most horrific thing I could think of just seven days ago, and today sit here and eat a cheeseburger?

It's the best and the worst part about grief...life goes on.  Your insides very rarely match your outside. You don't really get a definite point where life stops and then you move on, you carry it with you.

So I understand why the need is there to bring up the past, I hope I am talking about Rip's life 5..10..15..20 years from now...but that he is remembered as what he was, pure joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment