Thursday, December 29, 2011

Thank the good Lord for gas (among other things)

Our first week home with Gracie has been nothing if not eventful.  The day after we got home, the incision from my c-section opened...this is disgusting, both literally and figuratively.  To make matter worse, the doctors keep saying they usually only see this happen in obese patients...does wonders for the hormonal post-partum psyche.  I will spare you any further details, but let's just say, GROSS.

Gracie is absolutely perfect in every way...but she does have a slight problem with, well, gas.  Usually just gas that hits around 11:00 pm and lasts until somewhere around 3:00 or 4:00 am and seems only to be comforted my constant movement.  I think I've probably burned off half my baby weight just walking around our living room.

And, of course, we are still adjusting to all of the normal newborn things...hundreds of diaper changes, minutes of sleep, lots of "what do we do nows?"

Last night I was around lap 60, passing the Christmas tree with screaming baby in hand.  Open incision, open shirt, nasty bathrobe, no more than an hour of sleep with no end of sight....and all I could think was "Thank You, Thank You, Thank You" .  It was all I could do not to cry with gratitude (those darn hormones again), I have a baby girl, she is healthy and happy.  We are normal, newborn parents doing normal, newborn things. 

Thank the good Lord for gas (among other things).

7 comments:

  1. God Bless you and your wonderful perspective. So happy for your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for normal, newborn things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor gassy baby!! And poor open wounded mama, OUCH!!! That seems like a life time ago that Lilli was new and gassy. Mylicon and gripe water helped her so much, and pumping her little legs like she was riding a bike. There is also a tummy massage I did on her, but I've forgotten how to explain it. Maybe there's something on you tube. Is that enough advise you didn't ask for? LOL! Glad she's home and healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so happy for your sweet family more pictures please

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been following your blog for a year. Its made me laugh and cry at my desk. I'm so beyond thrilled for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful perspective on a challenging, exhausting but oh-so-sweet time. SO very happy for y'all but I hate those c-section complications for you! Hope it's smooth sailing from here on out. And I promise the newborn stuff gets much better quickly. Soon the 4-hour sleep stretches will feel like heaven on Earth. (As if rocking Gracie to sleep isn't wonderful enough.) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This just makes me smile! You are such a strong, faithful person and God has rewarded you! Praying your incision heals quickly...and yes, definitely try the gripe water and mylicon! Baby's Bliss Gripe Water was our lifesaver!!

    ReplyDelete