Friday, November 11, 2011

To You on Your Birthday

Dear Rip,

Today you are one year old! This day is a happy, happy day.

The morning you were born your Daddy and I got up very early, mainly because I wanted to take a shower, dry my hair, and put on make-up to look pretty for you (because I am your Mama, and that's just how I am).  We were so so excited to meet you.

When the doctor finally held you up, we were both crying tears of joy.  We thought you were the most beautiful thing we had ever seen, even if you looked a little like an alien at first.  Soon you were all clean and fluffed up and I knew you exactly who you were...my baby boy.

Your daddy went with you to make sure you were settled into your new surroundings okay, and when he got back he told me that you were like a perfect little present.  He was exactly right, you gave us the best gift that we could have asked for...you made us your Mama and Daddy.  That is a gift I am so thankful for today and every day.

Of course we are sad that we cannot be with you on this day, but life is full of very sad things and very good things and you can't really experience one without the other...and you, my little boy, are a Very Good Thing.

The day will come when I get to hold you in my arms again and I hope you are ready to be squeezed to pieces (because I am your Mama, and that's just how I am).

Happy Birthday, Rip Harris.  We love you more than words can say.

Love,
Your Mama

3 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post. I am so sorry for your loss.

    On 11/18 my little boy would have been nine. (Our babies birthdays are so close.) I'm hosting a blogfest for mothers who have lost infants or children. I would love it if you could join us and share your story.
    -Elisa

    Here's that link:
    http://ecwrites.blogspot.com/2011/11/golden-sky-blogfest-is-in-less-than.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful letter to an amazing little boy, from his amazing Mama. Been thinking of you and Parke this week. We love y'all.

    ReplyDelete