Thursday, January 3, 2013

Don't Forget

Well, it's been a long break from the blogging world.  We've had so much going on.  Gracie's birthday, Christmas, new job, broken car...I am worn out just thinking about it.  I am sure I will write about any and all of this at some point, but I guess I've been a little blog weary, or maybe blog wary as of late.  I am not sure why, there have certainly been plenty of times I've gone to write and then stopped.  Maybe I just needed a break.

But today I felt like writing about the new year.

I've had a soft spot for New Year's Day since the year Rip died.  We spent New Year's Eve with our best "couple" friends in Beaufort.  We ate lobster, drank champagne, and just spent time talking and saying good riddance to 2010.  I woke up early on January 1, 2011 (1/1/11) and felt an overwhelming desire to find water.  I've always been this way, being near water soothes my soul like nothing else.  So somehow I left the house around 6:30am and meandered my way through the neighborhood until I found a saltwater creek with a long dock.  This, in and of itself, is a miracle because half the time I get lost trying to find my way home (I am not exaggerating).

I walked out on the dock, watched the sun come up, watched the steam come off the creek, and had a very literal come to Jesus with Jesus.  I was sad, I was mad, I was needy.  Mostly, I missed my baby and I wanted a baby in my arms so badly I could hardly stand it.  We talked for a good hour before I turned away, with something of an answer in my soul...we had an understanding. 

Fast forward to New Year's Eve 2012.  We spent it with the same friends and several others, 8 adults and 9 kids, out at the beach.  We put the kids down, ate lobster, drank champagne, and went to bed shortly after midnight.  Gracie woke up crying around 1 am and I put her in the bed between Parke and myself.  There she slept, tucked close to me all night long.  I dozed off and on with her various body parts poking mine before I finally opened my eyes around 6:30 am and looked out the window towards a different saltwater creek and dock.  The one thought that popped into my head was thank you.

"...Pray about everything.  Tell God your needs and don't forget to thank Him for His answers."

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Anne. I needed that one girl~ xo

    ReplyDelete