Thursday, January 26, 2012

When you said cry it out...did you mean me?

The first week of Gracie's life, I had an open incision and could not bend over to pick her up...so my solution was to let her lay on my chest all day and night.

The second week of Gracie's life, she had a cold and was congested when flat on her back...so my solution was to let her lay on my chest day and night.

The third week of Gracie's life, we visited my parents in Greenville...and everyone wanted her to lay on their chests all day and night.

By week four, we had a tiny little problem on our hands...one that screamed bloody murder any time her precious derriere touched a hard surface.

I know they say you can't spoil a newborn, but I had the sneaking suspicion we were being worked by a four week old.

So, as the parents, it is our job to teach this child right from wrong...right?  Unfortunately, one of the parents is currently at work all day so that just leaves me.

After being assured by everyone from my mother to my pediatrician that the little princess would not be permanently scarred from crying for five minutes, I set forth on my task.

Our first nap time was upon us and as I gently put the angel in her swing for a peaceful siesta, I nearly caved as her little brow furrowed....but I pressed on, giving her a kiss and retreating to the kitchen as the first whimpers began.  Whimpers turned to fuss, fuss turned to yell, and yell turned to scream.  I made it approximately five minutes before I hustled back to the swing, only to find my child covered from head to toe in, well, poop.

I felt like the worst mother on the planet...fully expected DSS to knock on my door at any minute.  Tears streamed down both of our faces as I bathed the little nugget, put her in her softest blanket and nestled her onto my chest.

It wasn't until she settled down to sleep that I noticed the smile on her face. No, I don't really think a four week old has the ability to be that crafty...but I got the feeling that only one of us was truly traumatized by the experience. 

When you said cry it out...did you mean me?


I'v got them alllll fooled


4 comments:

  1. "We were being worked by a four week old." hahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't beat yourself up about the poop thing. I think I tried to let Lilli cry it out at about 3 months old. When I finally went and got her she had thrown up all over herself. It happens to the best of us. From that point on I held Lilli ALL the time. Even through her naps....I know, it sounds crazy (I am crazy over my girl). One day I looked down and was holding an 8 month old during her nap and thought, "hmm....maybe it's time she naps in her crib"....LOL!! They aren't little for very long. My advise is to snuggle that little girl as much as you can! I don't think they really know how to "work" you until about 4 months or so (they DEFINITELY have it figured out by 8 months). I am in awe of the moms that are able to do baby wise. I was too weak, I had to hold my baby at all times and I am so glad that I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Gara. I worked and prayed so hard to get Chad here that when he was here I didn't want to put him down. At about 4-5 months I tried the cry it out Baby Wise thing and after 45 minutes he was crying and I was hysterical so that was that. First and only time. From then on, I just remind myself that he is only small once. And...when he's at daycare he's an angel and goes to sleep on his mat perfectly with no fuss. So, yes, now that he's 2 1/2, I know that I'm still being worked by a toddler, but I really don't care. He's my miracle boy and he is happy, healthy and well-behaved. What else can you ask for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she is so beautiful, makes my heart melt , GOD BLESS

      Delete