Monday, May 13, 2013

Mama Says

This weekend was the first Mother's Day that I've truly enjoyed.  Two years ago, I was still a broken mess of a mother.  Last year, even though things were much, much better, I was still something of a hormonal mess.  But this year was different.  This year Gracie is a strong and healthy toddler.  This year, Rip has found his place in my world-a place that strangely enough seems to be the same size as my heart.

We went to the beach with some friends for the weekend.  I took Gracie on a lone stroll down the beach in her stroller, and like any proper beach babe she promptly fell asleep.  Walking along the sand, I started thinking about my own mother.

I have the world's best mama.  She is beautiful on the inside and out.  She is one of those people who everyone wants to be around.  When we were little, my brothers and sister and I would get so annoyed when we went anywhere with her, because EVERYONE wants to stop and chat with my mom.  She makes you feel good.

I couldn't, repeat, Could. Not. have made it through the past three years without my mother.

She has taught me so much about what it means to enjoy this life, no matter what the circumstances.  The following are some the things I have learned...

- When life gets bad, get next to salt water.  Put your fanny in a beach chair, let your hair frizz, read a good book...wine optional.

- Get up and move.  Do something.  Sitters and stewers need not apply.

- Looking bad never helps anything.

- When throwing a party, don't worry so much about every little detail- people are thrilled just be invited

- You never know what other people are going through, be nice

- But not too nice, you can't be a dog for anybody who will pet you

- Most of the time, anger comes out of fear

- It's fine to splurge on something you really love, but 9 times out of 10 you can find something just as cute at TJ Maxx

- Your children always come first.  Make sure they know that.

- Traditions are important

- Birthdays are a big deal

- God is always there, no matter how many times you leave and come back

- It is important to be thrilled by the little things- four leafed clovers, rainbows, finding your favorite shell on the beach

- Laugh a lot-with others or by yourself

- Enjoy beauty, there is a lot of it in this world








1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog, and I had to write to tell you I LOVE it...I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes after reading your beautiful story about Rip, and you are truly an inspiration. I'm a new mom, and so much of what you say hits home for me...I'm so happy I "met" you today!! :)

    ReplyDelete