Thursday, May 16, 2013

Half of My Heart

Some people are real big about their "side"- you know, as in which side of the bed they sleep on.  I've never had a side, per se, I've just always had to be on whichever side of the bed is closest to the door.  Like, if there is an emergency I want to be able to escape first.

It's kind of a subconscious thing which I didn't fully realize was that big of a deal to me until I got married.  Luckily, Parke pretty much took it in stride that if something dire was to happen in the middle of the night I was basically going to high-tail it straight for the door and leave him there to fend for himself.  Every man and all that jazz. In fact, when we go on trips, he often sweetly points out that I will need to put my stuff in the drawers closest to the exit so I can make my great escape.

On the day of our wedding rehearsal, standing at the front of the church our minister was showing us where to stand.  I told him I was going to need to stand nearest to the door.  He looked more than a little alarmed but Parke just nodded like it was the most normal thing in the world.  He gets me.

Anyway, as I mentioned, this weekend we went away with friends for the Mother's Day weekend.  We set Gracie up in her whoever-thought-of-it-is-a-genius Pack n' Play and hours later I went to bed before Parke.  It was right before I drifted off that I realized that I was not sleeping beside the door.  I was sleeping on the side closest to Gracie.  In fact, any time we have been out of town, I've slept on the side where Gracie has been closest to me, door or no door.

I recently came across that quote again that I love so much, the one that says "Having children is like letting your heart walk around outside of your body".  I guess my subconscious knows that even in a middle of the night emergency we can't be running off without half of our heart.  Now evidently our husband on the other hand...only kidding, as long as he steps lively he can come too.

No comments:

Post a Comment