Tuesday, October 16, 2012

She's Gonna Be Just Fine

As a Mama, I think you always worry about how your child is going to turn out.  All of the sudden you are given this little person and tasked with making sure that they know how to make it through all of life's ups and downs...I mean, sometimes I am not even really confident distinguishing my right from my left so this is a daunting task to say the least.

The other morning, Gracie played her first joke on me.  Keep in mind, she is nine months old so it is not like this is something that will have you rolling on the floor, but I was so proud and most of all relieved. 

Every morning when I pick the girl out of her crib, I lean my face very close to hers and she gets a big kick out of it and we laugh and move on to other important things (like her first "ba ba" of the day). That morning I was mindlessly fixing said bottle when I noticed I tiny little head making its way towards mine.  She leaned in close, touched my forehead, and threw her head back and laughed and laughed.  The look on her face made me laugh out loud, she was just so pleased to have sneaked up on me.

I was just so pleased to see my baby had a sense of humor.  See, I can and will try as hard as I can to teach Gracie what is important about life.  I will teach her to trust God and her faith.  I will teach her to count on her family, that her Daddy and I will always love her no matter what.  I will teach her to find good friends and hold on to them, they will be there when she needs them most.  But I am not sure that you can teach someone to have a sense of humor...and I honestly don't know what you do without it. 

Even on the very worst days of my life, I have laughed and those laughs have fed my soul.  I am not sure that on those days I could have seen the purpose of life without laughter.

So, seeing that baby girl with her head thrown back and a twinkle in her eye, I breathed a deep sigh of relief.  She may not always be able to tell her right from her left, but she's gonna be just fine.

My little jokester

No comments:

Post a Comment