Monday, November 26, 2012

And Then Some

Well, it's official.  I am "in my thirties".  Thirty-two, to be exact.

I think maybe I am slightly in shock.  It's not that I really mind...but let's be honest, I was pretty heavily drugged when I turned thirty, and pretty heavily pregnant when I turned thirty-one.  It's been a heck of a two years and this is kind of like my 29 year old self blinking and waking up well, "in my thirties".

I have a vivid memory of being around seven years old and thinking about what thirty would be like.  I thought that a) I would stay up very late and watch TV and b) shots would no longer hurt

Ironically, although I guess I could technically stay up as late as I want and watch TV, I am lucky to keep my eyes open past 9:00 and unfortunately, shots still hurt, it's just less socially acceptable to run screaming from the nurse these days. 

But lest you think my seven year old self would have been totally let down, I do think there are some good things about growing up.  I find that I feel things more and less.

Things that I used to care about so much (ie whether anybody in the room thought I was a complete fool), I could now care less about...mainly because I've learned, as most people do by their late 20's or so, that everyone is too busy thinking about themselves to waste much time thinking about me.  And, if they do think I am a complete fool, fine by me.  They are totally right.

On the other hand, I feel what I DO care about these days are the really important things.  The people in my life who matter.  Taking time to enjoy them, taking time to listen.  Trying to push myself to be a person I like, even when it is hard to do. 

 Maybe that wouldn't have made up for the going to bed early or painful shots... I also eat a LOT of candy, whenever I want! 

So here's to thirty-two, bound to be a good year...because honestly, how could anything associated with the number of flavors at Baskin Robbins not be?



1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday! If you relate anything to ice cream, it can't sound bad. :)

    ReplyDelete