Saturday, May 12, 2012

In My Mother's Arms

Tomorrow is Gracie's Baptism.  I remember last year, sitting in church when she was just the size of a pea in my belly and thinking...if I can just be holding this baby in my arms this time next year, I will have her baptized on Mother's Day...and here we are.

Today Gracie, my mother, and me were running around doing some last minute preparations for the big day.  My mom and I were (like mother like daughter) eating candy bars and laughing about something I don't remember now.  Gracie was happy babbling to herself in the back seat. 

The next thing I knew, someone had slammed into the back of us.  Hard.  It took me probably five seconds to realize what had happened.  I heard my baby screaming.  Those next seconds, those seconds where I was turning around, not sure what I would see...I think those may have been the scariest of my life.

What I saw was my baby in my mother's arms.  She had someone wiggled out of her seatbelt (without unbuckling it) and gotten my baby in her arms before I'd even had the sense of mind to turn around.  She just kept saying, "She's okay, she's okay, she's okay"...I don't know that she really knew that yet, and maybe she was trying to convince herself, but I believed her. 

Gracie was okay, better than okay...the hospital declared her "perfect" (but we could have told them that). 

I know what it is like to be a mother without a baby on Mother's Day and I know many people go through this holiday missing their Mamas.  I want to take this moment to say that I know how lucky I am.  I could not be more thankful for my child and my mother than I am at this moment.

I've always thought of a baptism as sort of giving a baby into God's arms.  I know that we say God the Father, but I think the image I will have in my head tomorrow as the water touches my baby's head will be that child in my mother's arms.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Anne, I'm in tears. What a beautiful story and a sweet memory from what must have been a terrifying, terrible experience. So very glad you girls are okay, Gracie most of all.

    ReplyDelete