Wednesday, September 7, 2011

You'll Find That Life Is Still Worthwhile

Growing up, I had a stint as a "guppy" on my local swim team.  It was a short stint...I was very concerned about looking like a graceful swimmer, pointing my toes and keeping a smile on my face, but for some reason the coach was unimpressed when all of that grace left me a good pool length behind everyone else.  I left for hobbies where I felt my talents would be more appreciated (I'll let you know when I find them).

Anyway, even now I can hear the coach's voice in my head "KICK KICK KICK!!!!!!"

It's those words I now hear in my head when I am lying there are night, waiting on Gracie to do just that.

I got what I asked for two nights ago when my internal "KICK KICK KICK's" apparently made it into her little head.  It was 3:00 in the morning when she got the party started and it was 5:00 am by the time she finally wore herself out.  My insides felt like spaghetti...but I sat there and grinned through the whole event.

I think that smiling is both over- and under-rated.  Some people think that if you plaster a smile on your face, you will be happy.  For me, it doesn't work that way.  But if I come across something that genuinely makes me want to smile...well, that make all of the difference in the world.

Laying there that night, feeling my baby move and knowing that she was okay... life was still worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment