Monday, April 4, 2011

Lean on Me

One of the hardest parts of these past few months, for me, is watching Parke in pain.  It's never easy to watch someone you love hurt, but now, knowing how much pain I am in and knowing he has to experience the same...it can be unbearable.  My great-grandmother told me one time that you can't depend on other people to make you happy...unfortunately, you also can't make someone else happy.

But you can make sure other people can depend on you.

I've thought a lot about what that awful grief counselor said to us a few months ago- "Life is all about loss"...and it's just not true.  Life is all about people.  And inevitably, when you have people, if you are lucky enough to have a lot of people and a lot of love, then you will experience loss. 

I would not have made it to this day without my people.  I can't take away Parke's pain and he can't take away mine, but I don't think either of us would be standing here today without one another to lean on. 

Neither of us would be able to get through this without our people who, knowing they can not take away our pain, still hold us through it.

Life is not about loss.  Life is about people.  Life is about the people who will love you through your loss...the people you will lean on until you can stand on your own again.

No comments:

Post a Comment