Monday, February 14, 2011

All You Need is Love

Holidays are hard for me. I imagined that my love of holidays would only increase when I had children. Now even little holidays like Valentine's Day are sometimes just a reminder that I am a long way from where I thought I would be, buying little outfits with hearts on them etc etc. 

I read somewhere recently that a child who has died is sometimes with you like no living child can ever be.  And in a way that's true. I talk to Rip all of the time.  I tell him I love him hundreds of times every day. As time goes on and Parke and I have another child (or ten), they will grow up and go to school, learn to drive, go away to college...just as they should.  They will move away from me physically in a way Rip never will, because he is always with me. 

Now, I am not going to lie, most of the time this is small consolation.  One hundred days out of one hundred, I would rather have my child here on earth.  But I have to miss out on a lot, and I would like to think this time, on this holiday that is all about love, my child still gets to hear that his mama loves him...

1 comment:

  1. I love this thought... My other child(ren) will grow up and move away but Ellie always going to stay with me.

    ReplyDelete