Saturday, August 14, 2010

My body, next on Animal Planet


I guess everyone has that moment where the realization they are pregnant really sinks in. I'm not talking so much about those happy, glowing moments where you feel your child move and are filled with love and excitement...I've had those, and yes, they were great.

This is more the moment where you catch glimpse of yourself and it finally sinks in that very round, large woman is actually you.

My moment happened earlier today, while I was innocently minding my own business, going to see a matinee with a couple of friends. I was actually feeling pretty cute in my new Old Navy maternity skirt and fitted tee. Before walking out the door I may have even been feeling a little smug, here I was, 5 1/2 months pregnant, and I wondered if anyone could even tell.

Oh, they can tell alright.

My little dream world crashed down around me when I was standing next to my tall, thin friend in front of those darn reflecting windows.

Seriously, I looked exactly like one of those snakes that swallowed a huge egg and then topped it off with a couple of Hostess snowball cupcakes. And did I get shorter? Who was this squat thing standing around in the dumpy skirt and too-tight top?

So, evidently the fact that I am pregnant is no longer only apparent when I am lying on my back, feeling that joyful kick. Nope, it has more or less is being announced to the world every time me and me big belly leave the front door. That's right world, I look like Frosty the Snowman and I am proud of it.

For the record, I did not bother to look in the window when we were on our way out. I was pretty sure my "fitted" tee was losing a battle to the vat of popcorn and gallon of cola I'd just consumed, and nobody needs to see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment